Friday, November 25, 2011

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

This book was amazing.
This book was fantastic.
This book was phenomenal.



"You can't touch me," I whisper.
I'm lying, is what I don't tell him.
He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him.
But things happen when people touch me.
Strange things.
Bad things.
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.
But Juliette has plans of her own.
After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.




I started to read Shatter Me on the drive home from the Las Vegas Book Festival. I drank up every single word. The first few chapters were so tormenting because I felt as if I was in a cement cell in an asylum. It was like the place where Mara Dyer would have gone if her powers were discovered. 

Tahereh's writing is beautiful in every way. Mary and I are in agreement that it was like reading poetry. I swooned at almost every word, Juliette's narration was amazing, I saw and felt everything she did. During the first part of the book I was dying for dialogue, so many questions were raised, why was she there, what were her powers, and how could she have been alone for so long? Simple question and answers were revealed like lyrics in a song throughout the book. 

As more characters were introduced, my questions were answered, but once dialogue came and more situations arose, I took everything for what it was worth. There were already opportunities to find out what kind of character Juliette was. She was a selfless hero to the very end, or er, to the end of this book as this is a three book series. 

Not only was Tahereh's writing immensely beautiful filled with hope, but it was also so very smart, every character mentioned in the book is substantial, even if we don't meet them. The plot hooks you right away. I wasn't able to stop reading, I finished it when I got home. Reading Shatter Me was like watching a cinematic masterpiece, I couldn't have stopped halfway, it would have been like leaving at intermission or pressing pause and continuing a movie another day. I couldn't stop, I had to keep reading, I had to keep feeling it. 

My favorite chapter was 19, when you get to it, you'll know why, but really every chapter was so good, the story grew and each chapter was better than the next. But Tahereh can write some steamy, super blushworthy scenes. Umm, yeah, I blush just thinking about it, I'm all smiles. There's also something so intimate about each and every scene, my heart broke and mended itself over and over again. 

I can commit myself to saying that I will read anything and everything Tahereh writes. 

I dare you to read Shatter Me and try to put it down, it has everything, thrills, powers, villains, heroes, intense scenes, memorable characters and laughter to lighten the mood. If you liked The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, then you will LOVE Shatter Me. 

Stay tuned, tomorrow we'll be posting pics and vids from Shatter Me's Launch Party. 

5 out of 5 Stars

Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: November15, 2011
Pages: 357 


1 comment:

  1. I loved Shatter Me too! The crossed out text was a bit annoying at first, but I like how it gradually went away as Juliette learned and grew. I can't wait for book 2!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!