Monday, August 29, 2011

Review - TEMPEST by Julie Cross


I first found out about Julie Cross's Tempest through EW.com.  I fell in love with the cover and forwarded the article to Jenn saying how much I HAD to read this book.  Plus, the release date is set for my birthday.  Coincidence?  Nope. It's a sign!  So, finally, Jenn and I received the ARC through a book tour.  I cannot tell you how excited I was!!  Tempest was on the very top of my must read list.  Now, it's on the top of my to be purchased list!

So, basically, Tempest is about Jackson Meyer, a nineteen year old boy with the ability to travel minutes or hours back in time, a couple of days at the most.  The only person he's told about this ability is his genius friend, Adam, who makes Jackson record these "jumps" in a notebook for analysis.  One day Jackson's girlfriend, Holly, gets shot when strangers come looking for him, and the shock of this sends Jackson two years back in time.  And not only is this the farthest back he's ever been, Jackson is now stuck in the past.  As Jackson attempts to return to the future, his present, he finds out what he can in his past about his abilities and learns more about who he is and why people are after him.  While, in the past, Jackson interacts with the past versions of his father, Holly, and Adam.

I love, love, loved Tempest.  I couldn't put the book down.  Definite page turner.  Julie Cross had all the right elements that completely hooked me!  It was action packed, had just enough romance, science geeks, sibling dynamics, daddy moments (I'm a sucker for daddy moments!), and of course, time travel.  This book has it all!  And the characters!  So well-written!  I'm always skeptical when female writers write in a male perspective, especially when romance is involved.  But Julie Cross DID NOT disappoint!  I'm definitely recommending this book to my brother, who is waiting for me to prove him wrong about female writers not being able to create believable male characters.  Because Jackson Meyer is one of the most believable characters I have encountered lately, male or female.  I could feel everything he was going through, both in his shoes and as a spectator of his actions.  I was happy to witness his character grow throughout the book.  He, smart and funny with a vulnerable side.  

I fell in love with all of the characters! Adam, who was so geeky, it was adorable!  He constantly made me laugh.  And Holly, always patient and sweet.  I loved seeing how Jackson tries to get close to her younger version.  Then there's Jackson's dad.  I have to say that throughout the book, I was rooting for Mr. Meyer to be a good guy.  His character had so much depth!  I especially loved Courtney, Jackson's sister, the scene-stealer!  I have brothers, so I love when siblings are portrayed convincingly.

AAAAaaaaahhhhh!! I can't say enough how much I loved reading Tempest!  It made me laugh and worry and scowl and blush and cry! There was one point in the book when I had to put it down because my sobbing was making it difficult to continue!  It was one of those can't breathe, can't see through my tears kind of cries.  And the ending was perfect!  I felt that it could easily have been a stand-alone novel, but at the same time, it perfectly sets the reader up for a sequel.  I wanted more but I was also completely satisfied, if that makes any sense.  As Dickens would put it, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."  I can't wait for the release date, so I can buy my own copy and re-read it!  

5/5 STARS


Review by: @MaryMunar



Author: Julie Cross
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 352

Follow Julie on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/juliecross1980
Follow Julie on blogger: http://juliecross.blogspot.com/
Like The Tempest on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TempestSeries?ref=ts

Thank you sooo much to http://www.smittenwithbooksarctours.blogspot.com/ for allowing us to preview Tempest

2 comments:

  1. Great now I can't wait to read this book! Look what you've done


    Krazzyme @Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Krazzyme, yes, it's so good! You should enter a goodreads contest, I think there is one up for it. I stopped by and am now following your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!