Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Review: Scarlet by A. C. Gaughen

Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance. Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for. (Summary as found on Amazon)

Review by @MaryMunar
I’ve always been a fan of Robin Hood, so I was intrigued by A.C. Gaughen’s version focusing on Will Scarlet, who happens to be a girl, and I was not disappointed.  In fact, I loved this book and was incredibly impressed with the way Gaughen was able to turn a story everyone knows into her own without it losing it’s integrity.  I even think i prefer this version to the ones I’ve heard througout my life.  Scarlet is full of adventure and suspense, humor and friendship, secrets and romance.  I love the main character.  Scarlet is strong and brave, with a soft heart and a past that makes me love her even more.  And Robin Hood!  I love him in every version.  But in Scarlet, he just....  Well, he does not disappoint.  He’s in every way a leader.  He’s incredibly strong and kind and he takes care of people as if it’s his responsibility.  And he takes care of Scarlet.  Little John is also present in this version as John Little.  He’s the brawny ladies man in the band, full of charm and mischief.  His character is sure to make any reader laugh and blush.  
Scarlet is a great story.  It made me laugh and worry and ache.  I enjoyed getting to know all of the characters and figure out what made them the way they were.  It was a very fulfilling read and I definitely look forward to reading more by A.C. Gaughen.  I took pleasure in her writing and the story she created and I hope to enjoy more of her work.
5 out of 5 Stars
Side note by @JennReadsFiction

Mary would blush when she talked about this book, "Jenn you have to read it!" So of course, I read and loved it. I'm all about the romance and blush-worthy moments...and wow, how Rob made me blush. The dialogue was a little tricky in the beginning but I got the hang of it. The retelling was so good and made so much sense to me...I'll never think of Will Scarlet as a boy again! I loved this retelling!! 

Now, there was closure at the end of the book, HOWEVER, I think that the end totally left an opening for another book. 

I tweeted a message to A. C. Gaughen and asked her if it was going to be a part of a series or trilogy and she said, "currently it's a standalone--but I'll never say never!"

I am so crossing my fingers for a sequel!!


Publisher: Walker Childrens
Release Date: February 14, 2012
Series: Not at this time
Pages: 304
Genre: Retelling, Historical Fiction, Fantasy and Romance
Purchase: Indiebound or Amazon




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!