Sunday, January 29, 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A. 

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.




Jenn's Review:

Contemporary Literature is one of my favorite genres and I'm always looking for the next amazing read that will make me smile, blush and laugh. I got the ARC a couple months ago from Skylight and it was sitting in my trunk for a while. I kept looking at it and picking it up but I didn't read it. 

One day, I picked up the book read the first pages and the back, it took place in twenty-four hours. How could I dedicate myself to a book that begins and ends in twenty-four hours? I wouldn't know anything beyond it, and when I read, I need closure or epilogues at the very least. 

December left me with a heavy heart and so I finally picked up The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight because I wanted to read a stand alone, happy, feel good book.

The title itself is so long that you almost can't take it to seriously. This book was an incredibly sweet read. Mary and I are both so close to our fathers and the moments between Hadley and her father really spoke to me and made me teary. 

Jennifer does an amazing job showing important parts of Hadley's life that you forget the story is taking place in one day. She very smoothly weaves the present day and past together. You end up learning so much about Hadley and her relationship with her parents.

Hadley and Oliver definitely experience love at first sight, in an airport. (believe it or not, one of my best friends actually met one of her boyfriends in an airport, shared a flight and exchanged numbers when they landed - these things do happen! They are part of the statistical probability!) They shared so many special moments that made me blush, they happen so quickly and unexpected and just reading Hadley's surprise and anticipation gets you so excited. 

I enjoyed the plot and how certain twists developed, some moments left you a touch emotional, but for the most part this was such an amazing read. 

I look forward to all of Jennifer E. Smith's future releases.

Favorite Line: "In the end, it's not the changes that will break your heart; it's that tug of familiarity."

5 out of 5 Stars
Review by Jenn Valencia 


Release Date: January 2, 2012
Series: No
Pages: 236
Genre: Contemporary




1 comment:

We love comments!